Sierra Users - Helper Tool for Dialpad

DialpadHQDialpadHQ Posts: 468Administrator, Vanilla Admins admin
If you’re continually getting prompted to install a helper tool for Dialpad, you could be experiencing a permissions issue specific to Mac Sierra users. To troubleshoot, try entering your computer’s credentials for your user (not your admin’s). In most cases, this will resolve the issue.

If it doesn’t, you may need to reset your Mac’s app installation permissions. This requires running some command lines in the terminal app on your Mac.

Before following these steps, make sure you quit the Dialpad app first.

Open up the terminal app on your Mac - Applications > Utilities > Terminal and type in each line, making sure to hit ENTER after each line:

cd ~/Library/
cd "Caches"
sudo chown -R $USER com.electron.dialpad*
xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Dialpad.app
sudo chown -R $USER /Applications/Dialpad.app
ls -l com.electron.*
ls -ld ~/Library/Caches/com.electron.dialpad*
ls -ld /Applications/Dialpad.app

A few important notes:

- ALL lines are case sensitive. Keep the spacing within each line, but if you enter any extra spaces before or after, you'll get an error, 'No such file or directory'

- After the third line, you'll be prompted to enter your user machine's password - as you enter it, it won't be visible.

- The fourth line contains lowercase Ls.

Once you've run this, quit the Dialpad app and relaunch it. If the helper tool reappears, enter your machine’s user credentials (not your admin’s). The permissions should now stick.

Comments

• David ChampionDavid Champion Posts: 7Member
    This could affect applications besides Dialpad. (Any "nativized" webapp built on Electron would be affected.) I would change the com.electron.* line to:

sudo chown -R $(whoami) com.electron.dialpad*

($USER can be upset by various circumstances, but $(whoami) is you by definition.)

I would expect simply removing the Dialpad caches should also be fine, but I'll let Dialpad answer that.
  • David ChampionDavid Champion Posts: 7Member
    > @David Champion said:
    > This could affect applications besides Dialpad. (Any "nativized" webapp built on Electron would be affected.)

To be clear, this probably won't cause trouble. Most applications will prefer for you to own your files. But I wouldn't assume it, and I wouldn't want to recommend changing apps I don't control.
  • Bri HatchBri Hatch Posts: 1Member
    FWIW, I've been having this issue the last ~6 months. Have tried this solution on every version of the dialpad mac app. Still getting the error. Am on High Sierra, 10.13.3, and still this error continues.
  • DialpadHQDialpadHQ Posts: 468Administrator, Vanilla Admins admin
    Hi All --

Thanks for your patience on this. We just updated the documentation listed above and added an extra step to the instructions.

For any users still experiencing this issue, try going through the updated steps again and letting our support team know if that doesn't resolve it still.