Can Dialpad App for Android Coexist with Google Voice App?

So, I'm in the middle of a trial period, and so far I think I really like the Dialpad service. However, I'm having a problem with my cell phone (a Samsung Galaxy S4 Active running Android 5.0.1) that I can't seem to figure out.

Before installing the Dialpad app, I used the GV app to dial out and receive calls and texts on my phone; essentially, I never used the number assigned to the phone's SIM card, since I used my GV number for everything.

My plan was to install the Dialpad app so I could make and receive business calls on my Dialpad number, and continue to use GV for personal calls and texts. However, I'm not sure the apps play well together.

Now, I've selected the "Ask Before Each Call" option for outgoing calls so that I can choose between Dialpad and GV. If I select my "Personal Number," I can call out using GV (even though Dialpad thinks my personal number is the SIM card number, not the GV number) without error. However, if I select either my Dialpad number or my business number (they are the same), the Dialpad dialogue box says it's calling the number I'm trying to call, but the phone's native dialer says that it's calling some unidentified number in California (323-508-XXXX). The California number rings until Dialpad times out, the call is never answered, and the person whom I'm trying to call has no record of a missed call from me. The effect of this is that I cannot make a business call on my phone with the Dialpad app. I may not be able to receive one, either - I don't yet know.

Is this caused by some sort of negative interaction between GV and Dialpad, or is it something else? I really (REALLY) don't want to uninstall GV if I can avoid it, so I'd like to figure out a way for the apps to coexist peacefully.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Best Answer

Answers

• Shane BlaufussShane Blaufuss Member Posts: 1
    I'd like an answer for this as well. I've used google voice for several years as my main phone number, and I use Dialpad for my new small business. I'd like them to co-exist on my mobile phone, otherwise Dialpad is useless for my mobile device.
  • DialpadHQDialpadHQ Administrator, Vanilla Admins Posts: 468 admin
    Hi @Shane Blaufuss — unfortunately, you won't be able to run GV and Dialpad simultaneously on your mobile.

Not sure if you're interested in this, but you do have the option to port in your GV # to Dialpad and then you could toggle between the IDs on your mobile, desktop, etc.

Let me know if you're interested in that option and I can forward you the help center article on it.
  • Tessa LauTessa Lau Member Posts: 1
    +1
    Our small business has several GV users and Dialpad is useless for those users (including myself, the CTO).
  • Miguel San MateoMiguel San Mateo Member Posts: 1
    +1 Our start-up is interested in using Dialpad, and we signed-up for Dialpad Free. The Windows desktop app rings, but none of our mobile phones do when we select the extension and we have he Dialpad app installed on Android and iOS devices. The users do have Google Hangouts installed on their mobile devices, as some use Google Fi as their mobile career, and others use their Google Voice # with Hangouts. Is this another compatibility issue?
  • Justin GreenJustin Green Member Posts: 7
    Guys I'm not sure what I'm doing differently, but I've been successfully using the Dialpad and GV apps on my LG G4 for some time now. I do not use GV as my exclusive number (i.e. I do actually use my native phone number as well), but I am able to successfully make and receive calls and texts from all three numbers. I have inbound GV & Dialpad calls set to show the caller's #, and give me a voice prompt about which line the call is coming through.
  • Justin GreenJustin Green Member Posts: 7
    Andrew M, I just re-read your message- I think the important issue is that you WON'T be able to make your outbound calls from both GV & Dialpad with the native dialer on your phone. BUT, I'm able to reliably dial out from whichever number I want to use, from the respective app. For example, I go directly to the Dialpad to call out with Dialpad, the GV app to call out with GV, etc.